30 March 2010

Turkey and Europeanness...

I was talking with a fellow American (not on the program) the other night and dinner who's been teaching English in Ankara for the past few months. We got on the topic of our first impressions of Turkey and my immediate reaction was "It's so nice to be back in the West again...everything is on time and reliable and I just know how it works here!" He laughed and replied "That's funny because I feel so out of place here because I think it's very Asian."

I was awestruck by the reply. But considering he's never been to Asia, the reply was understandable.

Now, I'm not claiming to be an expert on any of the countries I've lived in by any means, but I've made some adjustments to my lifestyle as a result of living in Asia for 6 months. Little things like remembering that nothing has to be on time, and most likely will not be. Or observing hierarchies around me and putting myself within them in certain circumstances, despite how much it goes against my values.

In Turkey, I can still feel some of these values (mainly the hierarchies) but it doesn't take a huge effort for me to go to the store and buy groceries or order food and have at least a slight idea of what will be on the plate in front of me. The showers still don't have curtains and are still directed to spray into the toilet. However, the water is hot immediately! But for someone not coming out of a run across Asia, Turkey could be a rather strange land.

We're currently in Goreme (Cappadocia), living in a hotel that has been carved out of a mountain, surrounded by faerie chimnie mountains with thousands of caves carved into them. It feels a little bit like Star Wars, or some other fairy tale land. [I tried to upload pictures but it took too long and didn't even work. Check Picasa!]

But as the end draws closer, I find myself wishing for a stable place to stay and a reliably comfortable bed.

Home, is all I want right now,
B(ee)

4 comments:

  1. And I want you home, soon. Take lots of pictures of the Fairie chimneys

    ReplyDelete
  2. remind us to have a conversation about heirarchies when you get home! Im really interested in what you have experienced about that and societal structure and democracy and what not!!@#@!
    Don't get too homesick! Enjoy it! But we're here for you when you get home! not to tell you what to do! love! too many words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lukie, I'm pretty sure I could never hear too many of your words. Particularly when you don't remember I'm listening on Skype and you start singing. :)

    And social hierarchies, my god, I know they're making me stronger but...BUT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that longing for home at this point is a sign that this life changing experience is complete - for now. And that you are ready for the next adventure. I so admire what you have done and the way that you have shared with us who live vicariously through your experiences.

    ReplyDelete