04 January 2010

Christmas "Vacation"...

So much to update on, but to make a long story short, I had a splendid time showing off Chiang Mai to my parents and I think they enjoyed it almost as much as I did. I felt like a tourist for the first time there during our visit to Doi Suthep, but I guess I was just a tourist trying her best to fit in my whole time there anyway.

Bangkok...we all wished we could have done without, but knew it was a "must" if we were in Thailand. We saw may different worlds there, and maybe these collisions left our bodies confused and unsettled. The best part of Bangkok was listening to fireworks from all over the city echo across a skyline of skyscrapers for a good thirty minutes after the clock struck twelve.

Cambodia, we loved. Particularly after the unsettling feelings we had from Bangkok. The temples are gorgeous, the food is delicious, and our hotel had a pool. We had a wonderful tour guide (and driver) who gave us a very personalized tour of the sites in the area and even complied when we didn't want to vist the market or (god forbid!) more temples because of the heat.

I loved Cambodia so much that I decided to stay until I have company from my trip in Bangkok. I visited a wonderful orphanage last night and it made me want to spend some quality time in this country. For the first time over my break, I felt like I was back integrating myself with the culture rather than just doing the normal tourist rounds and it was really nice. I hope life finds me back in this wonderful, beautiful country surrounded by smiling faces, glorious laughter, and warm hearts.

Keeping the travel high,
B(ee)

No comments:

Post a Comment